Antioxidant therapy is very vital in today’s world where we have to live with a lot of challenges and we go through a lot of stress. This certainly affects our body which can be clearly seen when one crosses his 40s. The aging is stimulated by oxidants which are produced in the body which is capable of binding to various sites in the body and can lead to the death of the cells. Antioxidants are chemically those compounds which react with Oxidants which are also known as Free radicals and make a complex with them and make them inactive. Since the aging process is very much affected by the free radicals, these antioxidants can be very useful for maintaining a fresh and healthy body.
The following are the main reasons which can lead to a formation of more free radicals:
- When an individual crosses the 40s there are more free radicals like Free Oxygen molecules which are produced during metabolism in the body. These free radicals are highly reactive and they are very harmful to body cells.
- Ingestion of heavy metals or any other harmful chemicals can directly release the free radicals which can cause severe defects in the body.
- Frequent exposure to X-rays or UV rays etc for a prolonged period can also contribute to more free radicals in the body.
- Stress is a major factor which leads to improper biotransformation and thus, in turn, more production of free radicals.
- It has been also found that intake of tobacco and many narcotic drugs can stimulate the formation of oxidants in the body.
The antioxidant therapy focuses mainly on the following antioxidants:
- Beta Carotene is found to be a very useful antioxidant agent. It can be isolated from carrot and many other plant species. Mixed natural carotenoids are good to supplement against the oxidants.
- Selenium is a trace element which is found to react with the free oxygen molecules and stabilize the oxidants in the body and it is now widely used for antioxidant therapy.
- Vitamin E is a very good supplement to fight against the free radicals formed in the body. It has been proved by clinical trials that there is a significant decrease of oxidants in individuals who are taking regular doses of Vitamin E.
- Ginseng is an excellent medicine which is a famous Chinese herb. It has been used successfully for this purpose from centuries.
These are some valuable substances which are included in the antioxidant therapy. Apart from these other natural green vegetables and trace elements like copper and zinc are also found to be very useful.
These days we come across many poisoning cases in our surroundings which may be because of suicide attempt or attempt to murder someone and it can also be the accidental intake of poisonous substance. Emergency treatment for Poisoning is very essential for saving the life of the patient. Poisoning occurs mainly due to the intake of pesticides or intake of heavy metals like arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury etc.
Following steps can be taken to prevent the fatal consequences of the poisoning:
- Taking the patient to the calm place and he should lie down peacefully and the crowd of people should be avoided which prevents fresh air to the patient.
- The pulse, blood pressure and heart rate of the patient should be examined and it should be tried to stabilize using oxygen if available.
- Emesis can be done if the poison is not corrosive or strong for the mucous membrane. Emesis can be done by giving syrup of ipecac or by tapping at the back of the patient. But emesis can only be performed if the patient is conscious.
- Catharsis can be done by the use of enema but it is not recommended since it takes a lot of time for the substance to get excreted in feces.
- The universal antidote can be given which is a mixture of activated charcoal, milk of magnesia and tannic acid.
- Gastric lavage can be performed if the patient is cooperative by inserting soft tubes through the mouth and washing the gastric chamber with saline.
- Blood dialysis is a very good option and it can prove life-saving for many patients and it is highly recommended.
- For heavy metals, specific antidotes like D-Penicillamine and BAL are employed(these drugs form complex with the metal molecules which can be easily excreted by the kidney)
- Mouth to mouth resuscitation is a good option if the patient has difficulty in breathing.
These are the most common treatments for poisoning and one can try anything that is possible until the medical treatment begins.
Tuberculosis is a disease which is more prevalent in developing and underdeveloped countries. This is one of the worst of all the diseases.Since it is hard to detect early and it takes the ridiculously long time to get cured completely.The treatment is quite troublesome and the medicines used for the treatment have a lot of side effects as well. It is more common in children due to low immune power.We should be well aware of the Tuberculosis information for kids since children have more risk of getting infected.
Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the causative bacteria for this disease. It also causes infection in certain animals. It can be transmitted through air and water also. It is initially not recognized but later when the symptoms turn severe it indicates Tuberculosis. The pulmonary tuberculosis is most common types of T.B.
- Persistent cough for more than 2-3 weeks.
- Coughing severely with more sputum.
- Weight loss
- Sweating at night
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the chest
A skin reaction test is a common test but it is not very accurate. The tuberculin toxin is injected into the upper layers of the skin and it is observed for any swelling. A swelling indicates the positive test for T.B.
A more accurate and better test is a chest X-ray which can tell more about the infection and its severity in the chest.
Treatment should be started immediately if the tests are positive. If not treated properly this infection can be fatal. The treatment involves following options:
- The combination of antibiotic drugs. These drugs may be major drugs ( First line treatment) or less potent drugs ( Second line treatment). The second line treatment is adopted as synergistic with the first line.
- Rifampicin, Isoniazid, Streptomycin and Ethambutol are first-line treatment drugs. They are used in combination since the bacteria is not so easy for a single antibiotic to kill.
- Second line drugs include Para-aminosalicylic acid, Cycloserine, Amikacin, Capreomycin etc.
The treatment regimen involves daily dosing of first line drugs for first to months (combination depends on the sensitivity of the organism)and then continuing the treatment for at least 6 months. The treatment should not be ignored since there is a chance of relapse of the infection if not fully cured. The main purpose of using the combination is that the organism may develop resistance to a single antibiotic.
Additionally, the nutrition treatment is also given to regain the weight. Plenty intake of fruits and fresh vegetables is advisable. Along with high protein diet.
Many people suffer from allergies like skin allergy and other types of allergies. Some of them are caused due to the allergens present in our ordinary, daily used bedding. These allergens cause allergies and also cause a restless sleep. Hypoallergenic sheets are simply the bed sheets, mattress covers, and pillow cases that are highly resistant to dust mites. So, how to avoid skin and other allergies?
Dust mites cause allergy in some persons. They cause sneezing, runny nose, coughing, watery eyes in sensitive persons. People who wake up in the morning and are caught up by these symptoms are allergic to dust mites. Most severe cases can suffer from asthma and chest tightening as well. These sheets or bedding materials if used by the persons that are allergic to bed allergens such as dust mites can give them a peaceful sleep.
The hypoallergenic sheets are made up of pure silk. Silk does not accommodate dust mites in them due to the tight weaving of silk threads. Ordinary bedding can give room to dust mites, dead skin cells, and other allergy producing entities to embed between the loosely woven threads. Advancements in different detergents have made it easy for the manufacturers to make these sheets.
These sheets are available on the market, made of natural materials and are free of chemicals, bleaches, dyes, and resins etc. Simple bedding can have chemicals in them, which in turn can affect the human health by causing irritation and headache.
Companies manufacturing hypoallergenic sheets guarantee 100 percent safe nature of sheets, both for humans and for the environment. Some sheets are resistant to dust mites and some can control dust mites by washing them in hot water. Repeated washings do not affect the color and quality of sheets. It is always recommended to buy the products from famous and old companies, to get the best products.